Saturday, April 27, 2013

I Don't Keep Pets

Dogs are Better Than Cats, but I'm sure that's not the source.
I love animals, I really, really do. Some day soon I hope to get myself a big black mutt and name him Baskerville; but right now, the answer is no, I'm not keeping animals. I don't have the time, means, or space for them.

Perhaps my saying so will rub people the wrong way, but I have trouble understanding people's compulsion for the company of pets that overrides common sense and compassion. If you don't have the income that supports pet
food and veterinary care, and the time or space to take the dog out walking, or clean the cat's litter-box every day, then why have one?

Also there are people out there that put animals on the same worth level as humans. I can't understand that either. If Spot can not be cured (within reason) and is suffering and dying... or a danger to human life and property, let him go already and get another dog. It's true it won't be the same, but life goes on, so should you.

I suppose part of my coldness toward pet-kind stems from the fact that I've never had a dog or a cat for more than a year or so at a time. Call it bad luck. My first dog was dangerous to little children, my second dog was sickly as was my third, and numbers two and four were donated to a guide dog association because we were moving. I've had five cats at various times each. One was a stray and strayed off, one went for a ride and didn't come back, the others went back to the shelter either because we were moving or they needed a more suitable home.

All in all, I've never had a pet for longer than a year, if even that long.What a tragedy  I'll have to remember to try and keep some sense of continuity with my own pets in the future. Try living some place permanently and make sure we have a good match between family and pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment