Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Les Miserables: death by Victor Hugo

I saw Les

Miserarables last night, you know the latest Hollywood atrocity done against a classic... well actually it wasn't that bad, and it was nice to see Hugh Jackman step out of the "Wolverine" paradigm with out it being a cartoon.

I've never read the book, so I don't really know what Victor Hugo actually wrote. I suppose with a name like Les Miserables it would not imply a very happy plot line... but still, wow, could anything have been penned that was more depressing.

At least Jean Valjean dies at peace and the main lovers get a happily-ever-after; but no one else stands a chance.

Fantine: diseased

Gorvache: shot
Don't stop singing, Eponine! You'll die if you stop!


Friends of Marius: shot, bayoneted, and cannon blasted

Eponine: shot(?). Actually I think she suffered death by unrequited love. She took a bullet, but lived long enough to sing a lengthy duet with Marius who seemed ignorant of her affection until she was dying (singing?) in his arms.

Javert: suicide

Javert's suicide especially disturbed me, but I guess killing oneself is the standard way to die in French classic literature if a character is suffering from a moral conflict.

I didn't like Les Miserables, but when I think about it, I would've like it far less if Disney came along and cleaned it up for family viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment