Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kids Say the Worst Things Sometimes

My kids say a lot of awkward things. Movie lines, phrases they hear from friends and family members, but sometimes thing come out that confuse me and I don't know who said it or where it was heard.

Filthy language problem? Not in my home! (stock photo)
This morning, out of no where, and for no apparent reason, Colin told Karyn to get lost and that he wanted her to die. It was pretty clear he simply meant to be offensive, as little boys sometimes do, but I don't think he meant to be extremely offensive and threatening. He's only four after all. I didn't get mad, I just gave him the mild soap treatment (which if you want to know, it's kind of hard to get sick, injured, or traumatized with Johnson and Johnson's). Then I told him never to speak that way again, and sent him to his room.

I'm trying to decide where he could have learned to say such things. He may have learned "get lost" from me. I haven't used that phrase in a very long time, but I'll be the first to admit it; I have a loose tongue from time to time. I'm wondering, though, where had Colin learned to be so blunt about death?

I have a tough time imaging that that kind of language is allowed in Primary Sunday School, Colin is not in day care or pre-school, and most of his neighborhood friends stay inside during winter.

Upon inquiry, Colin thinks he learned to wish death on others while watching a movie. He said it was the "Moses" movie, which means "The Ten Commandments". However I haven't put that movie on in over a month, and I don't recall anyone being quite that direct over the theme of death. The three movies Colin has seen most recently is "The Muppets", "Monsters Inc.", and "Wreck-it Ralph". It wouldn't surprise me if "Get lost" is scripted in at least one, and there is a certain amount of peril depicted in each, but where has anyone made such a clear verbal threat toward any other characters. I'll have to pay a little more attention and see if I can find out and know if any of them need eliminating from the kids movie collection.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment