Friday, March 29, 2013

2006. Oh, what a year!

Aaron and I were planning our wedding an reception. I am not a crazy self absorbed bride. As a matter of fact, unlike a number of other girls, I gave no thought to my wedding reception. I was pretty close to not having one at all, but seeing as I have to deal with in-laws now, it would probably not bode well for in the family politics for me to be a hermit.

Aaron's step-mom, Julie, loved to plan parties and had connections. She could be a hard core, strict disciplinarian, and someone not to be trifled with. Be she was artistic and loved a party. I nearly went crazy picking out colors (she only needed two) and an over-all scheme. For someone as vague short of party imagination as I, she did exceptionally well.

My mom wanted to make my wedding gown. At first she had me sit down and look through pictures of wedding dresses online. It was torture, but I got some ideas of what I wanted. Then she made me draw a picture of approximately what I wanted. Over the course of time the dress evolved in concept until Mom decided it was time to start building it. It's a good thing I like Jo-Ann Fabrics because we spent a good amount of time there. Then there was the practical planning, where Mom wrapped me up in bits of muslin, and pinned them together on my body. Having sharp little needles so close to my skin made me nervous (I have a bit of a phobia when it comes to needles and things piercing my skin).

It took a number of fittings and planning and a few idea changes, but Mom showed me her work when it was almost finished. That day I was over tired and overwhelmed and when I first saw her work, I turned pale, swallowed a sob, and asked to take a nap. I thought the gown was hideous in that moment, but I also knew I hadn't slept a night through in a week, so I went upstairs and slept for a while. I don't know how long of a nap I took, but I felt better. When I came downstairs and there it was; the most beautiful, perfect wedding gown I had ever laid eyes on. It took my breath away. I couldn't believe it was the same dress I saw not 2 hours ago. No on had touched it or changed it in any way. The only change was my perception.

There was a bridal shower that Julie and her sisters threw and it was fun. They decorated in sunflowers, my favorite, and we played a few games. There were gifts. It surprised me because I had never seen so many in one place in my life. Mostly it was kitchen gadgets and useful things around the house that I could use.

Come to think about I had subjected myself to two or three gift registries. It was painful and I didn't think anyone would actually look, but there you go. People really do look at things like that. I guess that's how people knew what I wanted.

Aaron and I were married June 16, 2006 at the Detroit temple. It was a small, private ceremony (which suited me) and only a few friends and family members were present. Aaron's brothers of course pranked our car, but nothing damaging or embarrassing. And after some pictures and congratulations, we left for the hotel for the evening! Ha! No way I was going to have the reception right after the ceremony. Aaron was mine for the night. Our highly romantic first meal as husband and wife was Burger King take out. Woohoo!

The next evening was our reception, which was beautiful. We exchanged rings, did some dancing, and Aaron was a gentleman with the cake and kindly refrained from smearing my face with it. My favorite part of the reception came at the end when Tom, our DJ, played "Another One Bites the Dust", by Queen. We went and spent another night in a hotel, went to church with family the next day, then left for our honeymoon at a cottage up north, courtesy of the Barncard family.

After we got back, we lived a couple months with Aaron's mother, t
hen found our first apartment. And lived quite happily together.

No comments:

Post a Comment